Weekend BBQ Idea: Vegan Pineapple BurgerBy amelia richards
Looking for a vegan burger to throw on the BBQ this weekend? The Moving Mountains® range of tasty plant-based innovations are perfect for creating new and delicious recipes that can be enjoyed all summer long.
This mouth-watering Pineapple Sausage Burger is ideal for lunch or dinner and can be enjoyed alongside crispy fries, crunchy coleslaw and a sweet chilli sauce.
Recipe serves 2
For the vegan burger:
– 2 Moving Mountains® Sausage Burgers
– 1 sliced pineapple, peeled and cored
– 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
– 2 slices smoked cheddar / Vegan cheddar cheese
– 2 burger buns
For the coleslaw:
– ¼ red cabbage, approx. 50g
– 1 small carrot, peeled and julienned
– 20g salted peanuts, crushed
– 1 tbsp olive oil
– Salt & pepper to taste
For the sweet chilli sauce:
– 1 tsp maple syrup
– 1 tsp tomato puree
– 1 tbsp cider vinegar
– ½ red chilli, seeds removed, finely chopped
1. Heat a griddle pan or a griddle plate on a barbecue or cooker over a medium heat
2. Add the pineapple slices and cook for about 10 minutes, flipping over halfway through and making sure they are not sticking to the griddle. After the first 5 minutes, drizzle the griddle with the rapeseed oil (try to avoid getting the oil to the section where the pineapples are)
3. Add the burgers and grill them for about 5 minutes on one side, then flip over and place the smoked cheddar slices on the top of each patty. Grill for another 3-5 minutes. Remove the pineapples and burgers from the griddle and cover them with a piece of kitchen foil to keep them warm
4. To make the coleslaw mix the cabbage, carrot and salted peanuts in a small bowl. Add the olive oil and seasoning and mix again
5. In a separate bowl, prepare the sweet chilli sauce by mixing the maple syrup, vinegar and red chilli together
6. Halve and toast the burger buns and assemble the burgers. Put the slaw on the bottom half, top with the patty and pineapple, a generous drizzle of the sweet chilli sauce and finally the other half of the bun.
The Moving Mountains® range of Sausage Burgers, Sausages and Hot Dogs are available in Sainsbury’s stores nationwide and online and can be found in the frozen aisle. Find more recipe content from About Time here.