Make This: Tess Ward’s Sweet Potato Pasta RecipeBy Tess Ward
Mid-week when I am on the trot, there is nothing quite like a super speedy vegetarian sweet potato pasta bowl to fill those empty gaps. If you haven’t heard of it, I suggest you check out Meat Free Monday – they support the idea of taking one day each week and cooking without meat. It’s a great chance for non-veggies to experiment a little and try new dishes without much sacrifice.
This pasta dish came about one lunchtime by accident through a mixture of supreme hunger and impatience. If you have time, I would recommend roasting the sweet potato cubes in the oven, for 20 minutes at 180 degrees celsius (in a little olive oil and salt and pepper) which brings out the sweetness more than steaming. If you are an impatient you can throw the sweet potato in with the pasta to boil as it takes less time.
Sweet Potato Pasta Recipe
- 1 small Sweet Potato, peeled and diced
- 80g Kale, washed, trimmed and chopped
- 60g Spelt Spaghetti
- 3 tbs Extra
- Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 1 stalk Rosemary Leaves, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp ground Cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground Cinnamon
- 1/4 Lemon, juice
- 1/2 Pomegranate
1. Pre-heat oven 180 degrees/ gas mark 4.
2. Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil, add a good pinch of salt
3. Peel and chop the sweet potato into small cubes, about 1 inch in size. Place the sweet potato in a baking tray with 1 tbs olive oil and season with a little salt and pepper. Place the baking tray in the oven and cook for 20 mins. – Failing that, add the sweet potato and pasta to the large saucepan of water, once it comes to boil.
5. Once the pasta and sweet potato are cooked, drain, reserving a little of the cooking water. Add the drained cooked sweet potato and pasta to the frying pan with the kale. Add a dash of cooking water if needed.
6. Season and toss carefully to mix. Tongs are handy for this. Finish with a little lemon juice and the pomegranate seeds.