About Time: You Got Creative With Billington’sBy Alicia Grimshaw
This week, we’ve partnered up with sugar queens Billington’s for a special week dedicated to all things delicious – so far, we’ve discovered incredible breakfast waffles in the capital and London’s best chocolate cake. If you’d like to win your own Billington’s hamper to make some tasty treats at home, simply enter below:
Now it’s time to get baking. Grab your mixing bowl, your whisk and head to the home baking aisle:
Billington’s Apple Doughnut Muffins
Preparation time: 40 minutes
Ingredients: For the muffins:
- 125g plain white flour
- 100g plain wholemeal flour
- 1¾tsp baking powder
- ½tsp salt
- ½tsp mixed spice
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 70g unsalted butter
- 120g Billington’s Unrefined Golden Caster Sugar
- 1 large apple (peeled and grated)
- 1 egg (free range)
- 55ml milk (whole)
- 1tsp vanilla extract
For the sugar mix:
- 80g Billington’s Unrefined Golden Caster Sugar
- 1tbsp cinnamon
- 50g unsalted butter (melted)
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C (170°C fan, gas mark 6)
2. Mix the dry ingredients together and cut in the butter. Rub the butter into the dry ingredients until it resembles a crumble mix.
3. Whisk the egg, milk, vanilla extract and grated apple together in a separate bowl.
4. Mix the wet ingredients with the dry until just incorporated.
5. Pour the batter into a lightly greased mini muffin tin and bake at 190°C for 10-15 minutes until slightly golden.
6. Once baked, dip the muffins in melted butter then roll in the cinnamon sugar mixture.
Billington’s Cinnamon Rolls
Preparation time: 1 hour
Ingredients: For the dough:
- 500g strong white bread flour
- 7g Easy-bake yeast sachet
- 275ml milk
- 50g cold butter, diced
- 1 medium egg, beaten
- 75g Billington’s Golden Caster Sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
For the filling:
- 150g Billington’s Unrefined Light Muscovado Sugar
- 90g unsalted butter
- 1tbsp cinnamon
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp almond extract
For the vanilla glaze:
- 170g Billington’s Unrefined Golden Icing Sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Bring the milk to the boil, then remove from the heat and add the butter. Leave to cool until it reaches hand temperature.
2. Mix the flour, yeast, golden caster sugar and salt in a big bowl. Mix the milk and the beaten egg into the dry ingredients with a wooden spoon.
3. Tip onto a lightly flour dusted surface and knead for 10 minutes (or use the dough hook attachment on your mixer).
4. Lightly grease the mixing bowl with some oil. Put the dough back in, cover the bowl with a clean tea towel and leave to rise until doubled in size – up to 2 hours depending on how warm your kitchen is.
5. Prepare the filling by combining all of the ingredients in a small mixing bowl.
6. Knock back the dough by gently kneading just 5 times to get the air out. Roll into a 20 x 45cm rectangle and spread your cinnamon filling over the top. Roll up tightly from one of the long side like a swiss roll, then cut into 16 even pinwheels slices. Grease a tin with more butter. Arrange the slices the cut-sides up.
7. Preheat your oven to 180C (160C fan, gas mark 4).
8. Cover the dough again with a clean tea towel and leave to prove until nearly doubled in size.
9. Bake for 35 minutes until golden and the dough cooked through. Leave the rolls to cool for 20 minutes in the tin, then lift onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Billington’s Choc Chip Cookies
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Baking time: 20 minutes
- 135 grams unsalted butter
- 80 grams Billington’s Unrefined Golden Caster Sugar
- 190 grams plain white flour
- 100 grams dark chocolate chips
- 80 grams Billington’s Unrefined Light Muscovado Sugar
- 1 large free range egg
- 1/2 tsp Nielsen-Massey Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1. Preheat the oven to 170 C/ Gas 3 and line 2 baking sheets with baking parchment. Cream together the butter and both sugars until pale then add the egg and vanilla extract and mix together well.
2. Cream together the butter and both sugars until pale then add the egg and vanilla extract and mix together well. Sift in the flour, salt and bicarbonate of soda and add to the butter sugar mixture and mix thoroughly until a dough forms, then stir in the chocolate chips.
3.Break off pieces about 1 tablespoon in size and roll into balls. Place these on the baking sheet leaving about 5cm space in between them to allow for them spreading out during baking.
4. Place in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until the cookies are light golden brown.
Prep time: 15 mins
Bake time: 35 mins
- 200g Unsalted butter
- 350g 70% dark chocolate, chopped into pieces
- 3 medium eggs
- 250g Billington’s Unrefined Dark Muscovado
- 50g self raising flour
1. Preheat the oven to gas 5 / 190°C, line a 20cm square tin with baking parchment
2. Melt the chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water
3. Whisk the eggs until pale and fluffy, add the sugar and whisk until thick, gently fold in the chocolate.
4. Sieve in the flour and fold in until the mixture is smooth.
5. Pour into the prepared tin and bake for 30-35 minutes, until you see a paper-like crust on top, there should still be some movement in the centre of the tin.
5. Remove from the oven, leave to cool, then cut into squares.
Billington’s Molasses Milk
Preparation time: 5 minutes
- 2 tbsp Billington’s Unrefined Molasses Sugar
- 600ml milk (whole)
1. Add your milk and molasses to a pan and heat until hot and all the gorgeous molasses has dissolved. Enjoy!