Cook This: Tapas Brindisa’s Orange and Almond CakeBy amelia richards
Introducing the Tapas Brindisa Orange and Almond Cake. This orange and almond cake is moist, tangy and deceptively easy to knock up. It’s the perfect baking project for a Saturday afternoon. Thank you to Tapas Brindisa for the gorgeous recipe.
Tapas Brindisa’s Orange and Almond Cake Serves 8-12
- – 2 medium oranges
- – 2 tablespoons orange liqueur
- – 2 tablespoons olive oil
- – 300g caster sugar
- – 300g almonds, preferably blanched Marcona
- – 2 teaspoons baking powder
- – 6 large eggs
- – 300g butter, well softened, plus a little extra for greasing
- – Icing sugar and/or silvers of toasted almonds
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4 and grease a 25cm round cake tin.
2. Grate the zest of 1 orange into a large mixing bowl, peel the orange and cut into slices and add to the zest.
3. Put the juice of the second orange, the orange liqueur and the olive oil into a measuring jug.
4. Add this, along with 4 tablespoons of sugar to the bowl and leave to one side.
5. In a food processor, grind the almonds with the remaining sugar and the baking powder until fine in texture.
6. Transfer the orange mixture to the food processor and blend until very smooth, then add the soft butter, a small piece at a time until it becomes a smooth cream.
7. Whisk the eggs well so they increase in volume, are light in colour, fluffy and very creamy.
8. Slowly add alternate spoons of the almond and sugar mix and the whisked eggs to the orange butter mixing until all the ingredients are blended. The batter will be quite liquid.
9. Spoon this batter into the prepared cake tin, then put into the low part of the oven and bake for about 1 hour, until the cake is set and the sides are pulling away from the tin. It should be a rich, deep golden colour.
10. Leave to cool in the oven, dust with icing sugar and slivers of the toasted almonds.
If you enjoyed this Tapas Brindisa Orange and Almond Cake then take a peek at our recipe archives for more inspiration.
You can find Tapas Brindisa at 46 Broadwick St, Soho, London W1F 7AF