Discover: Episode 5, Season 2 of The AT ShowBy Angelica Malin
This week, we’re chatting about what it means to be a millennial in London – from avocado on toast to online dating, Alicia and Angelica chat all things Generation Y. We discover the latest stats on dating in the UK and why Southampton is considered the UK’s most dating-heavy city. We also sit down with special guest Catherine Price, author of ‘How to Break Up with Your Phone’ on how to have a healthy relationship with your phone. Here’s what we discussed in this week’s show:
The Millennial Special
– On average single people spend £61 a month on dating, 88% of the nation think single people have a difficult time achieving life milestones like buying a house and single people pay almost £100 more for a week in the sun than those in a relationship. Single people spend over £700 a year on the dating scene, according to new research by short term loan provider Wonga.
– The largest study into UK dating trends, which was recently completed by the dating app happn, revealed some interesting results – particularly around the differences between men and women. A quick look at the data reveals: almost a third (30%) of single people in the UK admit to not knowing how to flirt, the most preferred style of flirting is to make their date laugh; favoured by 51% of women and 45% of men and nearly half of men (47%) say that they decide if they’re interested in a date after just a few minutes- compared to only 35% of women. On average, Brits spend 21 days talking to someone online before meeting them face to face.
Dating News in London
– Social Concierge, London and New York’s private dating events club, has partnered with Chappy app to launch Mr Social on Friday 2nd March, a new brand of parties for single professional gay men in their 20s and 30s. Spotting an elusive gap in the market for high-end dating events for gay men, the two dating groups have joined forces to launch a chic party brand that breaks away from the usual round of LBGTQ+ events. The launch party will take place on Friday 2nd March at new Piccadilly spot Jack Solomon’s Club, a subterranean cocktail bar on Great Windmill Street. The welcome drinks reception at 8pm will be glasses of Veuve Clicquot and the cocktail party will go on till late, with live jazz to kick things off and DJs to spin into the early hours, as well as a Chappy Corner for some curated speed dates. Book here.
– The Inner Circle is a curated community of educated, lively singles, with nearly 1 million members around the world and 50K members in London alone. Every month to six weeks they host a novel dating party. Next month they have ab immersive Gatsby theatre party – the benefit to attending these events over others is the accountability and safety of the members which comes from everyone being approved on the Inner Circle dating app prior to the event – you can’t just rock up and buy a ticket. Information here.
London Special News + Events
– On the 5th March, ‘The Pie Room’ at Holborn Dining Room will officially open; a one-stop destination dedicated to one of Britain’s most iconic dishes. Spearheaded by Executive Head Chef and pastry expert, Calum Franklin, ‘The Pie Room’ at Holborn Dining Room will be a treasure trove of savoury delicacies, and somewhere for every food-lover to swing by and take away one of the beautifully intricate pastry creations. With more than 200 pies made daily in Holborn Dining Room, The Pie Room will serve as a hub for the dish Calum is now so famed for. An extension to the kitchen, customers will be able to watch the restaurant’s chefs at work – including Chef Franklin – as they craft offerings such as pork pies, impressive beef wellingtons, pate en croutes and complex pithiviers by hand every day.
– To celebrate the forthcoming Royal Wedding of Prince Harry to Meghan Markle on Saturday 19th May 2018, Mercure Hotels will be offering a complimentary overnight stay to couples who both share the same names as the soon-to-be-wed couple. Loved-up couples named Harry and Meghan will be able to enjoy a stay at one of Mercure’s 4* London properties which are situated just a stone’s throw away from the royal parks – Mercure London Kensington or Mercure London Hyde Park. Guests will be treated to a luxury stay at the hotel along with a complimentary breakfast. To apply Harry and Meghan’s (or Megan’s) need to send a photo of both of their ID’s to firstname.lastname@example.org. A limited number of couples will then be invited to stay at either Mercure London Kensington or Mercure London Hyde Park.
– UN Women NC UK are announcing HeforShe Arts Week (March 8-15), the global festival for gender equality launching on 8 March, International Women’s Day in London. Throughout the week, artists and their audiences will challenge the old stories, create a new narrative, change mind-sets and raise funds to change the reality for millions of women and girls. The website www.londonartsweek.org has launched with listings of events for London artists and audiences to challenge the old stories, create a new narrative, change mind-sets and raise funds to change the reality for millions of women and girls through discussion, debate, dance, music, theatre, exhibitions and experience.
– A huge 2 day Viva! Vegan Festival is coming to London on 17th and 18th March 2018. There’s something for everyone at this popular event, held at Shoreditch Town Hall, including a feast of mouth wateringly delicious food, a wide range of fantastic stalls, world food caterers, exciting cookery demos, inspirational talks, interactive workshops, yoga and children’s activities running throughout the day. Food on offer includes a varied and exciting array of plant-based hot and cold dishes, including Asian, Mediterranean, Indian, Greek, Hotdogs, Burgers, Street Food, Raw Food and Gourmet Food! There will also be a huge range of pies, cakes, chocolates, cookies, doughnuts, sandwiches and salads to take away as well as alcoholic and non alcoholic drinks, juices, smoothies, tea and coffee.
Special Guest of the Week
This week, our special guest is Catherine Price, author of ‘How to Break Up with Your Phone’. We chat about how to have a healthy relationship with your phone and give yourself a phone detox from time-to-time. See more on Catherine’s website here.
Restaurant Review of the Week
Subscribe to Season 2 of The AT on Acast here and on iTunes here. This season of The AT is kindly sponsored by our very own lunch-time heroes MealPal. MealPal helps you get a tasty lunch from the best restaurants in your city. Simply choose a meal plan that suits you, whether that’s a 12-meal lunch plan for £4.79 a meal, or a 20-meal lunch plan for £4.39 a meal. Download the MealPal app today or check out the MealPal website to mix up your lunchtime.