5 Minutes With: Selasi GbormittahBy Angelica Malin
We caught up with the man, the myth, the legend: Selasi Gbormittah. The king of cool, and most laid back GBBO contestant in history has teamed up with Vita Coco Coconut Oil to help you reach pancake perfection this Pancake Day. Let’s talk batter:
What’s the secret to making the best pancake?
I’m not sure there is a secret but always rest the batter for some time prior to flipping. I prefer thicker pancakes which tend to have raising agents, so it give the raising agents time to blend in and work better for a nice puff.
What’s your favourite pancake topping?
EASY ONE; chocolate spread and banana. OMG! For a slightly healthy* option, I like to go for natural yoghurt or cream (*side note: slightly healthy) with mixed berries, lemon curd and Vita coco Coconut Oil – the coconut flavour adds an amazing twist to any pancake.
How many pancakes have you managed to eat in one sitting?
One a visit in New York I think I could only do 4-5, considering the portions on that side of the pond, I was really proud of myself.
Chocolate spread or peanut butter on your pancakes?
Chocolate spread hands down. Even better when the pancake is warm. Crunchy peanut butter on toast. Love that oomph. Moving on….
Do you still hang out with any GBBO contestants?
Indeed. I really can’t get rid of them, jeez. Just kidding. We meet once every often for drinks, etc. And we have a Whatsapp group so we are always chatting and having a laugh.
Apart from pancakes, what’s one of your favourite cakes to bake?
I do love chocolate cupcakes or red velvet cakes/cupcakes. Cream cakes are amazeballs. I LOVE THEM.
Favourite ingredient to pimp up your pancake?
Vanilla bean paste and a tablespoon of Vita Coco Coconut Oil. Add the much needed flavour I think. Subtle, yet dominant.
How will you be spending Pancake Day?
Feasting on a mixture of sweet and savoury pancakes. This is the beginning of lent so always an excuse to go to town. I’ll be spending the evening with Vita Coco flipping pancakes live and answering some of your questions – so make sure you tune in!
The Ultimate Fluffy Pancakes
Need a bit of pancake practice? Selasi and Vita Coco Coconut Oil are here to help. Dust off your apron, practice those flips and whip up Selasi’s new quick, and fuss-free pancake recipe.
Batter (makes 6):
- 175g plain flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 40g caster sugar or 4 tbsp. honey
- 225ml whole milk
- 1 tbsp. melted Vita Coco Coconut Oil
- 2-3 tbsp. Vita Coco Coconut Oil (for frying)
- Goji berries
- Toasted flaked almonds
- 1 tbsp. natural yoghurt
1. In a large bowl, add the flour, baking powder, sugar (if using sugar) otherwise add honey later.
2. Make a well in the centre and gradually pour the milk whilst stirring continuously. This is to ensure you have no lumps in batter. Add the honey and melted Vita Coco Coconut Oil and mix well until you have a smooth batter.
3. Leave to rest for approx. 20minutes.
4. Place a frying on the hob on low-medium heat. When the frying is hot, brush liberally with Vita Coco Coconut Oil and wait until the oil is hot before you have fun with the batter.
5. Using a ladle, pour the batter into the hot pan and cook until golden.
6. Turn over using a spatula, brush with some more Vita Coco Coconut Oil and cook the other side. If you are feeling adventurous, then give it a good flip. (Tip: cover with tea towel or keep in warm oven whilst you’re cooking the remaining batter)
7. Repeat this until you have used all the batter. Remember to brush the pan with the Vita Coco Coconut Oil before each addition.
8. Stack the pancakes up and top with honey, berries, toasted almonds and a dollop of natural yoghurt and serve.