Top 5: Incredible Healthy Winter Porridge RecipesBy Loriley Sessions
Looking for some healthy winter porridges recipes? We’ve got it covered. The mornings are getting darker and colder as the autumnal weather approaches, and let’s face it, there’s nothing more we want to do than hit snooze and roll over for another five minutes kip. But waking up to one of these beauties is another story. Whether you want to load up on fruit, fancy a sweeter treat or instead, are looking for a lighter option, we’ve got you covered. Here’s our favourites:
1. Healthy Winter Porridge Recipes: Berry Healthy Maple Porridge
Serves 4 Ingredients: For the porridge:
150g rolled oats
500ml skimmed milk
50g sunflower seeds For the topping:
400 g of blueberries, raspberries and strawberries
Clarks Maple Syrup
1. Combine the oats, milk and water in a medium saucepan. Stir well and place over a high heat, until the mixture begins to boil. Turn the heat down and stir continuously for 4 – 5 minutes until the porridge becomes thick and creamy.
2. Remove from the heat and stir in the sunflower seeds. The porridge will continue to thicken as it cools.
3. Divide the porridge between 4 warm bowls, top with the fresh berries and drizzle generously with Clarks Maple Syrup.
Notes: Substitute the sunflower seeds for a mixture of pumpkin, sesame and poppy seeds. Frozen berries are a good substitute when fresh berries are not available. Simply warm in a small saucepan with a good glug of maple.
2. Healthy Winter Porridge Recipes: Spiced Porridge with Blackberries, Fig, Pecan + Almond Milk
Serves 1Ingredients: 40g rolled oats Pinch of sea salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp ginger
250ml almond milk/any milk of choice
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tbsp maple syrup, agave, unrefined coconut sugar or manuka honey
1. Put the oats in a small saucepan and dry-toast on a low heat until they’re slightly golden and smell like baking biscuits. Mix 1/2 tsp cinnamon and 1/4 tsp each of nutmeg, allspice and ginger with the oats whilst dry-toasting (this really enhances the flavour).
2. Add the salt, milk, vanilla and sweetener of choice, turn the heat to medium-high and let the porridge come to a rolling boil.
3. Once it has come to a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer and start stirring. Some people prefer to stir it every once in a while but I like to stir pretty regularly – it seems to make for a creamier end result.
4. Pour the porridge into a bowl to cool for a couple of minutes whilst you prepare your toppings.
5. After cooking top with a fresh fig, blackberries, a sprinkling of pecans and a splash of cold almond milk.
Recipe and image courtesy of Emily Tapp of Cortado Chronicles. Follow Emily on Twitter: @emilyoliviatapp
3. Healthy Winter Porridge Recipes: Baked Apple and Cinnamon Porridge
Serves 1Ingredients: 40g porridge oats
1 green apple, grated
300ml almond/coconut milk
2tsp ground cinnamon
A handful of sunflower & pumpkin seeds
Some buckwheat groats
A little coconut sugar to dust at the end
1. Combine the apple, porridge oats, cinnamon and milk in a saucepan and boil until it has thickened
2. Pour the porridge into an ovenproof dish and sprinkle it with the seeds and groats
3. Bake the oats in a pre-heated oven at 180’C (fan) for 15 minutes
4. Remove the baked porridge from the oven and sprinkle it with coconut sugar – return the dish to the oven and bake for a further five minutes
5. Remove the dish from the oven and leave to cool for five minutes. Dig in and enjoy!
Recipe and image courtesy of Charlotte Beer of Clean Eats Charlotte. Follow Charlotte to Twitter: @cleaneatschar
4. Healthy Winter Porridges Recipes: Gluten-Free Creamy ‘Caramel’ Almond + Banana Porridge
Serves 1Ingredients: 30g gluten free oats
250ml almond milk (or other non-dairy milk)
1 tsp Organic Burst Maca powder
1 tsp pure honey
1 tbsp almond butter (see how to make your own)
Toppings: frozen strawberries, cherries, pumpkin seeds, blueberries & banana. But you can use whatever you like 🙂 maybe some cacao nibs, bee pollen or other fruits.
1. Simply add the oats, almond milk, maca powder and honey to a pan and allow it to heat for about five minutes or until the liquid has been absorbed.
2. Stir in the almond butter and let it dissolve.
3. Once it’s all mixed pour into a pretty bowl and add your toppings. Enjoy!
Recipe and image courtesy of Sophia of Spoonie Sophia. You can follow Sophia on Instagram: @spooniesophia
5. Healthy Winter Porridge Recipes: Chia Spiced Oatmeal
1 1/2 cups almond milk (or liquid of your choice)
1/2 cup oats
1/2 tsp milled flaxseed
1 carrot, grated
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp all spice
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 – 1 tsp ginger (fresh is best!), grated
1/2 tsp cardamom (when I’ve run out, I soak the mixture with 6-8 cardamom pods)
Vanilla powder or extract (optional)
1/2 mashed banana (optional – if using, you may need more liquid)
Add the oats and water to a pan, together with all the spices, flaxseed, carrot and banana if you’re using. On a low heat, keep stirring and once heated through, serve. I top with a drizzle of peanut butter, and this time round, some hemp hearts for a blast of goodness.
This works even better if you soak it overnight and is so quick in the morning!
Recipe and image courtesy of Holly Williams of Purely Holly. You can follow Holly on Twitter: @PurelyHolly