7 Ways to Surprise, Your Family with Delicious MealsBy Angelica Malin
Having a family that waits for the dinner is demanding, regardless of how you put it. Most commonly, you run out of ideas. Then, there’s the time you lack more and more every day. Not to mention that those meals you compile should attractively integrate vegetables and dairy products. As delicious as it may seem, cottage cheese is sometimes difficult to give to children. Also, a tired husband might prefer meat instead of a cheese-based meal.
Regardless of the season, there are times when everyone prefers a warm meal that comes with a symphony of tastes and flavors. Yet, many of these recipes need hours of preparation and a lot of tools that later need to be washed. However, you already know that a meal you’ve never cooked before will be surprising for your family – and raise expectations.
We have found a way, actually seven ways to surprise your family with meals that look colorful and tempting, taste delicious and compile healthy plates. To make the process even more delightful, we’ll tell you a secret. Each recipe contains the best cottage cheese you can get out there.
Why Cottage Cheese?
Cottage cheese is a curded dairy product that comes in any package you might prefer. The curds are either small or large. Famous brands which produce cottage cheese pack it in high-milk fat content (4%), medium (1% and 2) and fat-free content. On the dark side, cheeses without fat have more sodium than others. Surprisingly enough, the most popular product of its kind in the Lactaid 1% Milkfat Low Fat Cottage Cheese which is lactose-free, as per this food reviews site. Therefore, your family can freely consume it even if your partner or one of the children suffers from intolerance to dairy products.
Cottage cheese is a low-calorie dairy product which is rich in protein. However, it doesn’t just contain any such nutritious ingredient. The casein protein found in all cottage cheeses keeps you feeling satiated for longer and comprises all the agents found in meat protein. You also improve your body’s metabolic function and muscle mass by eating cottage cheese at night. The dairy product also contains vitamin A, calcium, riboflavin and many other essential minerals that children need for development.
You can serve Indian spinach over lunch or dinner. The cottage cheese updates a regular spinach-based meal by making it creamier.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a large pot. Add whole chopped onion and mix until it becomes soft.
- Add two bunches (12 oz) of chopped spinach and mix to cook it. You can add it in batches.
- Add a teaspoon of curry powder or cumin. Let it saute for three minutes.
- Complete with an 8-ounce box of cottage cheese and mix well.
- Continue adding leftovers of chopped spinach.
- Season with salt and pepper and reduce to low heat. Cover and let the mix cook for 30 minutes. Stir and make sure the liquid doesn’t cook out.
- When the spinach is creamy and soft, you can optionally add two tablespoons of milk.
- Serve with chicken.
Eager for healthier meatballs? Here’s an idea. Cottage cheese keeps the meatballs moist and tasty. Works well for dinner.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Mix breadcrumbs, cottage cheese, Parmesan, eggs, 1/3 minced garlic, salt, and pepper. Add quantities as per your regular meatballs recipe.
- Crumble the mixture in ground beef and sausage meat and mix.
- Shape the mix into 12 meatballs and arrange them in a baking dish. Make sure the meatballs are placed in a single layer.
- Bake for 15 minutes in the oven.
- Mix pureed tomatoes, grated onion, regular or hot pepper, garlic, salt and pepper into a sauce.
- Pour the sauce evenly over the meatballs and let them bake for another round of 30 minutes. Add basil.
- Garnish with a bit of Parmesan and serve over rice or pasta.
This baked pasta idea makes up a vegetarian and delicious dish you can have over lunch or dinner.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9-inch square baking dish with nonstick spray.
- Prepare the whole wheat pasta (rotini or penne) as per your regular recipe.
- Move pasta into a pot. Add 1 ½ cups of cottage cheese, a teaspoon of Italian seasoning, ¼ teaspoon of garlic powder, ½ teaspoon of dry parsley flakes, 14.5 ounces of diced tomatoes, ½ cup of sliced olives, and two small sliced zucchinis. Stir.
- Spread the mix in a baking dish.
- Sprinkle the mixture with two tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese and ½ cup of shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove the foil. Bake for 10 minutes.
Cornbread and Broccoli
Cornbread can be moist and savory if you add it a bit of cottage cheese. Here’s how:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Add a bit of oil on the bottom and sides of a large baking dish to grease.
- Mix a cup of cornmeal, a cup of flour, four teaspoons of baking powder, a teaspoon of salt and 1 ½ teaspoons of sugar. Set aside.
- Mix three eggs, 10 ounces of frozen chopped broccoli, 12 ounces of cottage cheese and five tablespoons of melted butter.
- Gently pour the above mix over the flour mix. Stir.
- Pour the result in the greased baking dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
This dish works for both vegetarian families and those in search of a light dinner.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease the bottom and sides of a pan with a bit of oil.
- Mix 16 ounces of cottage cheese, four beaten eggs, ¼ cup of oil, one ounce of dry onion soup mix, 1 ½ cups of cornflakes cereal and a cup of finely chopped walnuts.
- Spoon the mixture int the greased pan.
- Bake in the oven for 40 minutes.
Mac & Cheese
This recipe will soon become a classic of your kitchen. It’s suitable for lunch or dinner.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Cook and drain 8 ounces of elbow macaroni, as per your regular recipe.
- Mix the macaroni, 8 ounces of shredded cottage cheese, 8 ounces of sour cream, ¼ cup of parmesan cheese, and 8 ounces of cheddar cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
- Mix a cup of dry breadcrumbs and ¼ cup of melted butter in another container and pour over the macaroni.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
You can eat them for breakfast, lunch or dinner. However, they also make attractive treats for party guests.
- Boil 8 ounces of wide egg noodles and rinse in cold water. Drain.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Brown a pound of lean ground beef in a tablespoon of butter poured in a pan.
- Add ¼ teaspoon of garlic salt, a teaspoon of salt, 1/8 teaspoon of black pepper and a cup of tomato sauce.
- Mix the above for five minutes.
- Add a cup of cottage cheese, a cup of sour cream, a cup of chopped green onion, sauce from the above meat and the noodles.
- Pour the mixture in a dish a casserole dish. Sprinkle with a cup of shredded cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
These recipes will surprise your family and introduce everyone to the delicious taste that cottage cheese has when cooked well. Use them with each occasion and discover more ways to improvise in the kitchen!