Top 3: Mindful Chef Summer Salad RecipesBy Angelica Malin
Mindful Chef has introduced its new summer salad series, and they only take less then 20 minutes to bash together. All of the ingredients listed below are available at Mindful Chef from June until August.
Each of the new healthy salad recipes are packed full of seasonal British produce; from vibrant heritage tomatoes, sweet peaches and garden peas, to crunchy red radishes. It’s time to get your salad on:
Spiced Steak Fajita Salad, Peppers and Avocado
Tender grass-fed flat iron steak spiced with ground cumin, smoked paprika and garlic alongside roasted red peppers, creamy avocado and baby spinach, a nutritional powerhouse.
- 1 1/2 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp red chilli flakes
- 1 avocado
- 1 lime
- 1 roasted red pepper
- 1 tsp dried garlic
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 200g sweet potato
- 2 x 150g flat iron steak
- 40g baby spinach
- Medium handful of fresh coriander
1. Boil a kettle. Leaving the skin on, cut the sweet potato into 1cm cubes and cover with boiling water and a pinch of sea salt. Simmer on a high heat for 10-15 mins until the sweet potato has softened.
2. Meanwhile, in a bowl, mix 1 tbsp oil with the dried garlic, half of the ground cumin and half of the smoked paprika. Season with a pinch of sea salt and black pepper. Rub the steaks with this.
3. Preheat a frying pan (or BBQ) on a medium-high heat. Cook the steaks for 2-3 mins each side for medium rare or 4-5 mins each side for well done. Remove the steaks from the heat and leave to rest for 5 minutes.
4. Thinly slice the roasted red pepper. Peel and de-stone the avocado, thinly slice. Roughly tear the coriander leaves.
5. To make a dressing; mix the remaining smoked paprika and ground cumin with 1/2 tbsp olive oil and the juice from the lime.
6. In a large bowl, toss the baby spinach with the sweet potato, coriander leaves, avocado, roasted peppers and the dressing.
7. Thinly slice the rested steaks. Place the salad onto two plates and top with the slices of steak. Sprinkle over the chilli flakes.
Harissa Chicken, Cucumber Ribbons and Orange
Delicious harissa spiced chicken breast with vibrant fresh orange slices and hydrating cucumber ribbons. The dressing made with turmeric, lemon and coconut sauce has properties which can boost the immune system.
- 1/2 cucumber
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 lemon
- 1 orange
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 20g creamed coconut
- 2 tsp harissa paste
- 2 x 170g free-range chicken breast
- 40g mixed salad leaves
- 60g radishes
- 80g quinoa
1. Boil a kettle. Slice the chicken breasts in half horizontally to create two thin fillets. Place the harissa paste in a bowl with 1 tbsp oil and a pinch of sea salt and black pepper. Add the chicken to this bowl and coat in the harissa.
2. Rinse the quinoa and add to a saucepan with 300ml boiling water and a pinch of sea salt. Simmer for 15 mins, then drain.
3. Cut the ends off the half cucumber. Using a peeler, slice the cucumber into long thin ribbons. Thinly slice the radishes. Peel and slice the orange into segments.
4. Preheat a frying pan (or BBQ) on a medium heat and cook the chicken for 5 mins each side until cooked through.
5. Meanwhile, to make a turmeric sauce; dissolve the creamed coconut in 30ml boiling water and mix in the ground turmeric, a generous pinch of the ground coriander and a squeeze of lemon juice.
6. Place the mixed leaves on two plates and top with the quinoa, cucumber ribbons, orange segments, sliced radishes and harissa chicken fillets. Drizzle over the turmeric sauce.
Warm Red Pesto Beans, Artichokes and Rocket
This warm and satisfying summer salad is packed with Mediterranean flavours. Nutty red pesto coats creamy butter beans, sundried tomatoes and artichoke hearts with a scattering of crunchy pumpkin seeds, rich in B vitamins and protein.
- 120g green beans
- 1 avocado
- 1 tbsp oil
- 240g butter beans (drained)
- 2 tbsp red pesto
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp pumpkin seeds
- 40g rocket
- 40g sundried tomatoes
- 80g artichoke hearts
1. Boil a kettle. Trim the green beans. Cut the sundried tomatoes in half and artichokes into quarters.
2. Drain the butter beans. Heat a small pan on a medium heat with 1 tsp oil and add the butter beans with the red pesto for 2 mins. Then add the sundried tomatoes and artichokes for 3 mins. Season with a pinch of sea salt and black pepper.
3. Meanwhile, place the green beans into a steamer for 4-6 mins until tender.
4. Peel and de-stone the avocado and cut into into small slices.
5. To make a dressing; in a small bowl, mix or whisk 2 tsp olive oil with the balsamic vinegar.
6. Place the rocket on two plates and top with the green beans, avocado and warm red pesto butter beans. Sprinkle over the pumpkin seeds and drizzle over the dressing.