While you’re stuck at home and unable to go out to your favourite restaurants, we thought we’d bring your favourite restaurants to you. We’ve teamed up with some of the trendiest eateries in the capital to bring you a selection of delicious and suitably nutritious recipes that you can make easily at home with ingredients you already have. This week we have an easy weeknight vegan supper idea from Avobar. These ‘plantballs’ are based on meatballs but have been given an immunity-boosting plant-based twist.
It is our hope that these recipes will inspire you to get into the kitchen and get you creating some really yummy health-boosting dishes. Let us know how you get on.
Avobar’s Moroccan ‘Plantballs’
This is a filling and hearty plant-based bowl packed with antioxidants and inspired by Middle Eastern flavours. It has been adapted to make at home.
Sweet potato (which is the main ingredient in the plantballs) is known to be a great immunity booster due to its high level of beta-carotene which turns into vitamin A once consumed. Sweet tatties are also rich in fibre which is great for the gut, B Vitamins which help with regulating energy levels & Vitamin C which, again, is famed for its immunity-boosting properties.
You will need:
– 1 large sweet potato
– Half an avocado
– Handful of kale
– Handful of baby spinach
– Baby gem lettuce
– Mixed herbs (cumin, coriander, cinnamon)
– A few sprigs of mint
– Coconut oil
– Salt & pepper
How to do it:
1. Bake the whole sweet potatoes in a preheated oven at 180°C for 45minutes to 1hour until completely cooked depending upon the size of the sweet potatoes.
2. De-skin the sweet potatoes in a mixing bowl & add some salt, pepper and mixed herbs (cumin, coriander, cinnamon). Mix well.
3. Make small balls of the plantball mix, heat a sauté pan on medium heat, add coconut oil & cook the plantballs from all the sides. Serve warm.
4. Mix kale, spinach, baby gem, half of diced avocado, chopped mint & mix all ingredients together & put in a salad bowl.
5. Add olive oil and mix well.
6. Serve plantballs on top of the salad, season and serve.