Easy Healthy Lunch: Three Kale and Coconut SaladBy amelia richards
We have a mid-week treat for you – a tasty, quick and super easy kale salad recipe from Glow Bar London‘s Sasha Sabapathy.
Sasha is an established wellness expert whose ethos is to create food that nourishes the body and soul. Whilst self-love and care exist at the very core of her agenda, Sasha is also a classically trained chef, ensuring each of her recipes are practiced, nutritionally balanced and delicious.
Creating innovative, plant-based recipes is a long held passion and Sasha’s recipes show just how easy it can be to incorporate healthy, natural herbs and plants into your daily life. Fresh, immune-boosting, mood lifting and anti-inflammatory foods provide the basis for Sasha’s recipes.
Taking inspiration from traditional Malyasian food, with flavours such as tamarind and Sambal Olek, Sasha’s three kale and coconut salad is as richly nutritious as it is tasty. Kale is packed with antioxidants, vitamins, calcium and fibre, and almonds provide our body with vital healthy fats. The strong earthy taste of the leafy greens provide the perfect base for naturally sweet toasted coconut dressing.
For the Salad
– 2 cups Tuscan Kale (also known as Cavolo Nero), shredded
– 2 cups Green Kale, shredded
– 2 cups Purple Kale, shredded
– 1/2 cup Almonds
– 1 cup Desiccated Coconut
For the Dressing
– 2 tbsp Almond Butter
– 1 tbsp Sambal Olek
– 1 1/2 tsp Tamarind Paste
– 1 tsp Coconut Blossom Syrup
– 1/4 tsp Sea Salt
– 2 tbsp hot water
1. Combine almond butter, sambal olek, tamarind paste, coconut blossom syrup and lime juice in a large bowl. Whisk together and add hot water to loosen up. Taste and add sea salt to season, keep aside until you are ready to eat.
2. Finely shred your kale with a sharp knife, you should have what looks like very thin strips. You want two cups of shredded kale of each variety. If you can’t find all three varieties you can just use one or two. The combination of the three simply gives the salad a fun texture and flavour.
3. Toast your almonds and coconut in your oven at 120c for 5-10 mins. Keep an eye on your coconut to make sure it doesn’t burn. You want a nice toasted colour on both ingredients.
4. Transfer your almonds to a food processor and quickly blitz until broken into small pieces but not a powder.
5. Just before serving transfer your shredded kale to the large bowl which your salad dressing is in. Use a fork and spoon to quickly toss and combine. You want all your kale to be evenly coated. Add your almonds and coconut and again toss to combine. Serve and eat immediately.
If you liked this one, you can find more healthy lunch recipes (and some naughtier, sweeter recipes if that’s more your jam) here.
Glow Bar is a wellness company for women created by Sasha Sabapathy – a brand planner turned chef who has spent her life between Malaysia, London and New York. Sasha created Glow Bar out of a desire to share with other women stress management remedies that she has discovered over the years. From adaptogen spiked lattes to lavender night time tonics , Sasha has dedicated a large portion of her adult life to using natural remedies to de-stress and achieve a sense of balance.
You can find Glow Bar at 70 Mortimer St, Marylebone, London W1W 7RY