Cook This: Asma Khan’s Courgette SabziBy amelia richards
Serves 2 as a main or 4 as an accompaniment
- – 2 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- – 2 dried red chilli, broken in half
- – ½ teaspoon of nigella seeds (black onion)
- – 400g/14oz courgettes cut into 1cm / ½ inch cubes
- – ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- – ½ teaspoon salt
1. In a deep pan or wok, heat the oil over a medium-high heat. Add the dried red chillis and nigella seeds to the pan.
2. Immediately add the diced courgette to the pan and stir
3. Add the ground turmeric and salt to the pan and then cook, stirring over a high heat for 2-3 minutes. It is important not to overcook the courgettes, they should be crunchy and have a little ‘bite’ to them.
4. Take the pan off the heat while the courgettes are still glossy and firm as they continue to cook due to the residual heat from the pan.
5. Before serving, taste to check the seasoning and adjust as necessary.
You can find Asma’s cooking up a storm at Darjeeling Express, Kingly Court, Carnaby St, London W1B 5PW and you can buy her fabulous new book here.
If you enjoyed this recipe for courgette sabzi then take a peek at our recipe archives for more inspiration.