World Rum Day: 3 SLY DOG Rum RecipesBy Alicia Grimshaw
We don’t need a national day to drink rum, but with it being World Rum Day on 10th July, it seems the perfect time to show some love to this versatile spirit. SLY DOG Spiced Rum is a blend of premium Caribbean rums, from carefully selected distilleries in Jamaica and the Dominican Republic, aged for up to 3 years. If you’re in the mood for whipping up some rum-based magic this weekend, keep scrolling:
The king of Tiki cocktails. This upgraded Mai-Tai has been given the SLY DOG treatment and is the ultimate summer cocktail. Super simple and deserves to be enjoyed in the sun.
– 60ml Sly Dog Rum
– 25ml Cointreau
– 25ml Fresh Lime Juice
– 20ml Orgeat Syrup
– 30ml Pineapple or Orange Juice
– Dash of Grenadine
1. Fill a cocktail shaker with ice, and combine SLY DOG Rum, Cointreau, lime juice, orgeat syrup and fresh juice. Strain over ice into a rocks glass.
2. Add a dash of grenadine.vGarnish with whatever takes your fancy.
Created by SLY DOG RUM x The Cocktail Guy. A SLY take on the classic Milk Punch. Fresh and zesty with a tender sweet touch, this cunningly crafted cocktail is worth the effort. This recipe serves one but it works better scaled up.
– 35ml Sly Dog Rum
– 1 Whole Lime
– 20ml Almond Milk
–1 Dash Vanilla Bitters
1. Mix in one shaker the Rum, the juice, husks of the lime and vanilla bitters. In a second shaker, pour the milk
2. Gradually add the contents of shaker 1, to shaker 2 (this should start the curdling process). Leave to infuse for a minimum of 2hrs
3. Pass the curdled mix through a coffee filter-lined funnel and into a bottle. NB: the initial few millilitres may be cloudy, but simply re-filter.
4. To make the drink, decant 65ml of the clarified batch into a stirring vessel and 10-15ml of sugar syrup (sweetened to desired taste). Add cubed ice and stir well to dilute and chill. Gently strain over a clear block of ice, in a rocks glass and garnish with a lime zest and flower
The Cuban Classic – elevated using Sly Dog Rum to add a sweet twist with real bite.
– 60ml Sly Dog Rum
– 4 lime wedges
– 1tsp granulated sugar
– Handful of mint leaves
– Soda water, to taste
1. Muddle the lime wedges, mint and sugar in a highball glass. Fill with crushed ice and add Sly Dog Rum.
2. Stir and top with more ice. Garnish with lime and mint.
For more information on SLY DOG Rum, see here.