Discover: Episode 3, Season 2 of The AT ShowBy Angelica Malin
Hello friends! We’re back and bigger than ever with Season 2 of The AT, the lifestyle podcast brought to you by About Time Magazine, hosted by Angelica Malin and Alicia Grimshaw. Listen to Season 2, Episode 3 of The AT Podcast here and below:
In partnership with our sassy sponsors Meal Pal, everyone’s favourite lunch time heroes, we’ll be giving you in the lowdown on lifestyle, food and fitness news in the capital every week – subscribe to the show on Acast here and on iTunes here. You can listen to the 3rd episode of the new season here:
For those that don’t know, The AT, brought to you by About Time Magazine, discovers everything it’s about time you tried in London and beyond. The weekly news and lifestyle podcast explores different themes every week, from unusual things to do in London to cocktail culture, finding the best of the city – we spend our time, so you don’t have to waste yours. This week, we’ve got a Valentine’s Day special with guests The Clerkenwell Brothers and the Founders of Sound Sebastien, Jasmine Hemsley and Toni Dicks. Here’s everything discussed in this week’s show:
Valentine’s Day Set Menus in London
1. Nobu London and Nobu Berkeley Street will serve a Valentine’s Omakase menu for lunch and dinner on 14th February, a seven-course tasting menu carefully curated by Executive Chef Mark Edwards. The Valentine’s Day Omakase menus at Nobu London and Nobu Berkeley Street are £120 per person or £195 per person with wine pairings. A vegetarian menu is also available for £75 per person. Book here.
2. Butchies are introducing a Valentine’s Day sharing menu of aphrodisiac dishes, served only on February 16th. Priced at £15pp for two to share, the menu kicks off with Deep-Fried Oysters with a spicy remoulade, followed by You Sexy Thing, a giant sandwich of two fried chicken fillets coated in chilli and cacao shake in a heart-shaped bun, served with sharing-sized Buffalo Halloumi Fries. They’ll also be offering two limited edition sharing cocktails for £6pp. Book here.
3. Tuyo. Set on a quiet street on the edge of the canal in Broadway Market, Tuyo is the ideal setting for a romantic meal for two. Exclusively for Valentine’s Day, the restaurant is offering a set menu for £30pp including a broad selection of their renowned Mediterranean and Levantine small plates, perfect for sharing. Book here.
Alternative Valentine’s Ideas in London
1. Happy Endings dessert bar at Old Spitalfields Market have teamed up with Rebel Rebel florists for a sweet smelling and tasting gift combo. Get a Rebel Rebel Valentine’s Day special bouquet with a dessert for two, such as Strawberry Zuzu Cheesecake, or a box of handmade salted truffles by Happy Endings. Available to buy from the Happy Endings dessert bar at Old Spitalfields Market, or online here. Prices from £20. Available from 13-14th February.
2. Bread Ahead. Bread Ahead are offering something different this Valentine’s Day by hosting limited edition Valentine’s courses at their bakery schools at Borough Market and Pavilion Road. Courses include a pizza making class for two, where couples or friends can learn how to make the perfect pizza, as well as the Bakes of Love workshop, guests can learn to make Bread Ahead’s signature amaretti biscuits plus gingerbread versions of their partner. Both courses are BYOB. More information, and the full list of courses can be found here.
3. Greggs – This Valentine’s Day, food-on-the-go retailer Greggs has teamed up with OpenTable, the world’s leading restaurant booking service, to open its doors for couples to enjoy a romantic, candlelit dinner in its shops for the very first time (Stockwell branch). Selected shops will be transformed into restaurants designed for romance, complete with mood lighting and music, roses, candelabras and white linen tablecloths. Instead of ordering at the till, diners will be waited on at their own tables in the retailer’s first ‘fine dining’ experience, while classical music plays in the background. Right on.
Pancake Day Ideas in London
1. Pip & Nut is hosting the ultimate Pancake Pop-Up at Whole Foods Kensington on and ahead of this Shrove Tuesday (13th February). Not only will you find an amazing array of sweet and savoury pancakes to try, but the first 100 during every ‘Happy Hour’ are on the house. From coco-nutty classics to bold beetroot creations, all tastes have been carefully catered for. The four pancakes on the menu are all made from Pip & Nut’s natural almond milk, as well as featuring a range of their delicious nut butters in the toppings.
2. Berners Tavern. Jason Atherton’s award-winning restaurant Berners Tavern at The London EDITION has a long and extensive menu to suit guests of every taste, but if there is only one item to cure your sweet tooth it would be the classic blueberry buttermilk pancakes with bananas. The perfect stack with the honey glazed fruits on top is just the right amount of sweetness, and is a staple on the Berners Tavern menu. This Pancake day, the restaurant will prepare guests for Lent by whipping up a pancake stack topped with bananas and Nutella spread, only to be topped with a generous layer of chopped hazelnuts. Not for the faint hearted, the Berners take on the French classic is available exclusively on 13th of February.
3. French Toast Hybrid, BYO and Vegan Pancakes at Christopher’s. Specials at Christopher’s this year include The Lobster One with grilled lobster with sea kale and chorizo, The Vegan One with beetroot & sunflower seed and The French Toast one with honeycomb pieces, honeycomb ice cream, maple syrup and a dusting of cinnamon. The pancake action at Christopher’s runs from 11.30am to 11.30pm on 13th February.
Special Guests of the Week
This week, our special guests on the show are agency gurus The Clerkenwell Brothers and Founders of Sound Sebastien, Jasmine Hemsley and Toni Dicks. Follow Clerkenwell Brothers on Instagram here and Sound Sebastien on Instagram here.
Restaurant Review of the Week
Subscribe to Season 2 of The AT on Acast here and on iTunes here. This season of The AT is kindly sponsored by our very own lunch-time heroes MealPal. MealPal helps you get a tasty lunch from the best restaurants in your city. Simply choose a meal plan that suits you, whether that’s a 12-meal lunch plan for £4.79 a meal, or a 20-meal lunch plan for £4.39 a meal. Download the MealPal app today or check out the MealPal website to mix up your lunchtime.